Blonde Hair Revival + Shu Uemura Purple Toner Review

Posted on Wednesday 2 April 2014

I'll admit, I often neglect my hair. I just have so much of it, and in the hot humid weather where I live, my hair is in a bun 24/7 to prevent more heat. There's always a point in time, like tonight, when I simply cannot ignore the state of my hair any longer, and have to invest some quality time and effort. I wanted to share with you my current routine for reviving my blonde dyed hair.
STEP 1. On a day I know I will be at home, I like to apply coconut oil to my hair. You can find coconut oil in a supermarket or health food store, it has a variety of benefits, but I'll just focus on the hair  stuff for this post. Coconut oil is a natural oil, which often solidifies, so I scoop out a tablespoon and melt it in me hands and run through my hair. I keep doing this until my hair is drenched in the oil, and leave it on for at least a few hours. The oil is really hydrating and moisturising and leaves hair soft and healthy looking.

STEP 2. After being coated in coconut oil my hair is usually in need of a good cleanse. I like to use Lush BIG shampoo, as it is a clarifying shampoo but doesn't strip my hair of all the moisture I just put into it. You only really need to thoroughly shampoo once since it is such a clarifying shampoo.


STEP 3. A few months back I completely stripped my hair of colour (as it was really dark and I wanted to go back to my natural lighter hair). During this visit to a very over priced salon, I was bullied into buying the Shu Uemura Colour Lustre Shade Reviving Balm. Well that's a mouthful! Basically, its similar to a purple shampoo, although this is more of a 'treatment'/toner. I've noticed that this is in the shade 'cool blonde', so I assume you can get a similar product for different hair colours. The purple colour is meant to counteract the yellow and golden tones in blonde dyed hair. I use this on wet hair straight after shampooing. It is extremely purple and stains everything it touches, so it does get very messy. One thing that I do find annoying is the amount of product I have to use to cover my whole head of hair. Once I have worked the colour into my hair well, I put my hair up and leave it for about 20- to 30 -minutes. Then you wash it out and TAH DAH: soft, non brassy, blonde hair is yours. I really do think this product works, however for the price (THINK it was at least in the AU$70 range) I think you can get better options (I think I'll try the Fudge one next).


If you've tried any great products for thick, dry or blonde hair I'd love to hear about them in the comments section.

Post a Comment